Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Lisbon's streetcars


One of the most fun activities to do in Lisbon, Portugal, is to take a streetcar. They are one of the best and fun ways to tour the city, specially nr. 28 which takes you to the old part of Lisbon, while you wonder if the tram is really going to make it through those sometimes very, very narrow streets. Mr. Mar had more fun than anyone else riding it, he filmed some minutes (a You Tube candidate, hah!) and talked to the driver when the tram stopped (he talks to strangers). Yes, I guess you are allowed to talk to him, since the only seen signs were to make you aware of pickpockets...a problem in every city with many visitors.

The inside of the street car is very pretty and takes us to the romantic of the past, all the woodwork, the illumination, the windows, all small details! We learned from the driver thay they can drive as fast as 70km/hr or 45 miles/hr. Our driver was sort of competing in speed with the tram before us so he certainly tried to drive fast. Seemed to me like two big boys playing. You know: men!

Here is where old and new find a common way: the modern tram and the traditional street car. Tickets for a single ride cost 1,20 euros/ 1,5 USD.

And the many faces of advertising! I was in another tram crossing the street but clearly on the way of this streetcar, there was a bit of traffic that morning and my tram wasn't moving while the coke sign grew bigger and bigger!.


Barcelona recovered its tram system not too long ago but it is all very modern. I haven't been to San Francisco so if you have, pls tell me about its streetcars or about other cities' trams!



And it is her birthday today!! Happy birthday, bella!mww

13 comments:

  1. I've only ridden a street car in one city, and that was New Orleans. :) It was a nice ride, though, and makes a complete loop through the downtown area. Past these million-dollar antebellum homes and 2 seconds later through the not-so-nice neighborhoods. And the drivers are also quite informative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Djurgården line (Djurgårdslinjen) is a heritage tramway with line number 7, running between Norrmalmstorg and Waldemarsudde in Stockholm, Sweden. The line along with almost every other tram line in Stockholm was withdrawn in conjunction to the switch to right-hand side traffic in 1967, but was restored as a heritage tram line in June 1991 and operated on a non-profit basis by members of the Svenska Spårvägssällskapet (Swedish Tramway Society).

    http://www.ss.se/djurgardslinjen/english.php

    http://www.ss.se/djurgardslinjen/rollingcafe.php

    The destination(Djurgården) is a very beautiful area in Stockholm, which is kind of a recreation area for the city people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to ride those trams!! They look like so much fun! Love the pictures and as always you take us along on the journey! I love it! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have ridden in street cars when I was a child, we used to have them in the central city in Auckland. Now the only one I know of is one you can ride at the museum to get to the zoo :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh and thank you for the birthday wishes, I am still sick so we didn't go out to eat just had take outs, not too exciting lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They have trams in Croydon ... something makes me think that Lisbon's would be far superior :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to admit I am a little snobbish about street cars (they call it tram here) we have so many here, very modern once and indeed they manage to go even in the smallest streets. But the once in San Fransisco they are really something special. They are (or seem to be) very old and you have to jump on them while they are driving. This especially is an adventure when the tram goes down the hill ! And at the end they turn the tram around on a rail circle manually. Unfortunately at that time I were obsessed by my video camera and haven't taken any pictures to show that ! But it's really an adventure to ride on these trams !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute streetcars! They look like fun! I road in a trolley car in San Fransico several years ago, I really don't even remember much about it, though, really.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We used to have the tram in Bremerhaven. There is a great system in Hannover as well. I love the tram. Wonderful to get around the city. I really like the old tram in Lisbon, but am not sure about the add in-front of it - lol.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is so wonderful to see these streetcars or trams...I love that they are made so beautifully...we used to have streetcars here in L.A. a loooong time ago..but not any more. I have been to San Francisco and have riden on a Cable Car, but it was such a long time ago, I don't really remember what they were like anymore, sad to say.
    I just love seeing all these wonderful pictures Mar, as I have said before...YOU are my window on the world with your travels and I really appreciate it very very much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, I had no idea there were streecars in Lisbon. In Hannover We have trams that go above and underground and a couple of old-fashioned street cars.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh now! I have never been to SF or even Carmen's New Orleans... but I think when I decide to ride a streetcar it should definately be in Lisbon! Those just look soooooooo nice!!! I can't imagine them being that "clean" anywhere in America!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment, the best part of every post!
☀ IMPORTANT: ☀ kindly leave your direct link to the current meme, if you have multiple blogs. Thank you very much!!