Friday, June 30, 2006

few fun facts on friday (1)

brought to you thanks to a friend who e-mailed this to me , source of information unknown, facts pending confirmation, but it's easy reading for a friday!

Alaska
* More than half of the coastline of the entire United States is in Alaska .
Amazon
* The Amazon rainforest produces more than 20% the world's oxygen supply.
* The Amazon River pushes so much water into the Atlantic Ocean that, more than one hundred miles at sea, off the mouth of the river, one can dip fresh water out of the ocean.
* The volume of water in the Amazon River is greater than the next eight largest rivers in the world combined and three times the flow of all rivers in the United States
Antarctica
* Ninety percent of the world's ice covers Antarctica. This ice also represents seventy percent of all the fresh water in the world.
* As strange as it sounds, however, Antarctica is essentially a desert. The average yearly total precipitation is about two inches.
* Although covered with ice (all but 0.4% of it, i.e.), Antarctica is the driest place on the planet, with an absolute humidity lower than the Gobi desert.
Brazil
* Brazil got its name from the nut, not the other way around.
Canada
* Canada has more lakes than the rest of the world combined.
* Canada is an Indian word meaning " Big Village."
Chicago
* Next to Warsaw, Chicago has the largest Polish population in the world.
Detroit
* Woodward Avenue in Detroit , Michigan carries the designation M-1, named so because it was the first paved road anywhere.
Damascus, Syria
* Damascus was flourishing a couple of thousand years before Rome was founded in 753 BC, making it the oldest continuously inhabited city in existence.
Istanbul , Turkey
* Istanbul is the only city in the world located on two continents.
Los Angeles
* Los Angeles 's full name is El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora la Reina de los Angeles de Porciuncula --and can be abbreviated to 3.63% of its size: L.A.


Today's bonus: The Comment Casting Call is still taking place at Miss Wings'!

19 comments:

  1. Howdy, dropped by via Wendy's

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting list....I wonder how accurate it is? Hmmmmm. Well, whatever! It is fun to read---no mater!
    I love thar little moving "Libra" Mar....it is fun to see all the different 'NEW' things you have on your site....Was Libra always there??

    ReplyDelete
  3. L.A. is all of a sudden sounding so boring! The original name is so exotic! Tried to say it out loud but had a hard time... :)
    Fun facts indeed - you put nr. 1, does that mean that this will be a recurring theme on fridays? sounds like fun :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. nyasha - I don't know about further fun facts...I just decided the e-mail was too long for one post :) Expect at least a second part, therefore! XD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello again today! "I was directed here by Wendy" everyone's favorite bossy blogger :-)

    What a great game.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. Even more things I didn't know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool set of facts. Here from Wendy's again. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I came by this morning, and got distracted by your link to Wendy :) So now, I'm commenting. Finally. (sorry)

    I feel all edumacated now. You know that from Sydney, they have a 12 hour flight that will fly you over Antarctica - for a mere couple of thousand bucks.:)

    Wendy sent me, but not really. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting facts. I certainly wouldn't have dreamed of the coastline/Alaska one. Wow!!!

    Thanks for dropping by my Friday Feast.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I sure would like to visit that Alaskan coastline! Do you suppose Wendy would send me there "on location"??? Oh I'll have to suggest it! Thanks for the idea!

    Oh yea... Wendy ALMOST sent me here ... but Carmen nudged her way in there instead... so I came of my own free will THIS time! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hola Mar!

    Liked the facts! It has a second part right? Will have to check back to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That was fun! Thanks for sharing. Now I will have to work that into a conversation and I will sound very smart.

    Take care,
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  13. I knew that about Chicago, since that's my hometown!! Boy talk about some good food there!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great List...Did you know you were outted as a Hobbit? See Daisy's Log in News that will make you snooze.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wendy directed me here...

    I've never visited many of those places. Interesting to read.

    Is it true the shopping is fun there in Barcelona?

    Fun blog!
    ~S

    ReplyDelete
  16. Another interesting list. Thanks for the information.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gosh, I didn't know that LA had such a long name! That's interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are really interesting facts! Thanks for showing us-- have a good weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey! Very Nice! Check out this website I found where you can make extra cash.
    It's not available everywhere, so go to the site and put
    in your zipcode to see if you can find something. I found something and make
    and extra $900 a month!

    http://www.degree-programs-online.info/extramoney.htm

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment, the best part of every post!
☀ IMPORTANT: ☀ kindly leave your direct link to the current meme, if you have multiple blogs. Thank you very much!!