Thursday, February 23, 2006

Thursday 13




What you always wanted to know about Abi but nobody ever told you

----------------------------------------------------------------------

01.I have this banner from this page.

02. Mr. Mar is on a business trip until tomorrow evening

03. I am driving Teen17 to school tomorrow at 6pm .

04. He's leaving to go skiing with a group of 30 students until sunday evening.

05. They have had a tough week: it has been the "Abi" week.

06. Abi is the colloquial form of Abitur

07. Which, explained with words from this site is " the word commonly used in Germany for the final exams young adults (aged 18 or 19) take at the end of their secondary education, usually after 12 or 13 years of schooling. The Abiturzeugnis, issued after a candidate has passed their final exams, is the document which contains their grades and which formally enables them to go to university." (I couldn't have explained it better myself!)

08. "Abitur often refers to the final exams only. These generally consist of sets of written examinations and oral examinations. The subjects covered in these examinations vary according to the specialization chosen by the student during the last 2-3 years (Oberstufe) at the Gymnasium." Teen17 has attended the German School all 12 years. Why not a a local Spanish school?: because we originally came from Germany for 3 - 5 years...Oral examinations will take place in april-may.

09."The marks obtained in these exams combine with some of the marks won during the last 2-3 years to a summary mark. This, in turn, is important to be admitted to a German university for some fields of study, in particular medical schools ". (no, medical school is not being considered!)

10. The students had German on monday, some had Physics and Biology /Natural Sciences on tuesday, then Math today and English tomorrow. Good luck, kids!

11. The students We all have been a bit nervous due to the importance of these tests.

12. I am so glad I do not have to prove any of my skills through tests/final tests or admission tests anymore.

13. That's the Abi post this week. As of friday evening, everybody will be partying (the parents too!), although there is school and further tests until mid june.


Other Thursday Thirteens visiting here today:
1. Erika 2. Renee 3. Tanya 4. Uisce 5.Norma 6.Denise 8.KDubs 9.Shelli 10. Chickadee 11.Lazy Daisy 12.Frog Legs 13. Mommy of 4 14. Nicole 15.Colleen 16. Amanda 17. Kimmy 18. Eph2810 19.Shash 20. Katherine 21. Courtney 22. Yellow Rose 23. Killired 24. Kelly 25.d.c. roe 26.Laura 27.WendyWings 28.CrazieQueen 29.Suz 30.Emily 31.Nancy

(leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here:
Nicole/ Lindsey


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!


41 comments:

  1. I learned something new "Abi". I'm so glad I don't have to worry about final exams anymore even though I still have nightmares lol

    I was enjoying your previous photos...I want to go look some more :) ciao

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I couldn't get away from exams... I homeschool now. LOL!

    My 13 is up fefyfomanna: Thursday 13: School Daze

    ReplyDelete
  3. In a short time the exams will be over and the relief will be fantastic - for all of you. I hope...

    Thanks for stopping by my Thurs 13.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well that was very informative, danke schoen! My 13 are up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very informative, and I don't think I would know that English isn't your language of comfort.

    Thanks for visiting my TT, and I've linked you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh boy, I guess we'll be facing that someday, and probably twice! Do you know if Spanish schools put as much emphasis on oral participation as German schools do? I'm sometimes concerned about how much of a mark is made up of the oral stuff.

    Viel Glück für Teen17!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never knew Abi meant so much LOL. My TT are up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I learn something new everyday! Thank you for the education! :)

    Happy Thursday!

    My 13 are up.

    Denise(mentalexcrements)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope your son deos well!!! Hugs to you. :) And good luck with the ski trip.

    Cheers,
    Kdubs

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello. Thanks for coming by my blog. Skiing seems like a good respite after a week of exams.

    My 13

    ReplyDelete
  11. Abi...sounds worse than college finals. Ugh. I'm sure they will do fine!

    Thanks for visiting my 13.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, thanks for the preview in your life. I know your boys will do well. Enjoy their downtime. My 13 are up! (Loved your photos)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I feel so much smarter now. And *SO* glad I don't have to take our tests anymore, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  14. good luck on the exams! my tt are up.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My days of tests and finals are almost over. Just another year. Hopefully! LOL

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I came here once this week and thought I was at the wrong place. Did you have fun skiing?

    I'm glad my exam days are over.

    I'm thirteening too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. How interesting! Also makes me glad to be out of school.

    My 13 are up!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a long and stressful period! I'm so glad I don't have to "prove" myself anymore either.

    Thanks for the "Abi" lesson.

    My 13 are up!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have to bookmark your blog. I alway come via Wendy...
    I sure know what Abi is - born and raised in Germany *grins*...
    My 13 is up too...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for stopping by my blog, I like yours - I can't wait until I can learn how to fully use mine!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for all the good Abi-wishes!

    Christina - I left you a comment on your blog: the Spanish school system does not emphazise oral participation as much as the German does. I have mixed feelings about this, plus I think it is so old fashioned...

    Colleen - thanks for asking, I had a great time in the mountains although I didn't ski every day!

    Lazy Daisy - I am glad you enjoyed the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, that sounds like a rough week for you all! I hope it went well for your soon.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Informative list! Good luck to your son.

    Thaks for visiting my TT

    ReplyDelete
  24. Pressure...my daughter is in her 12th year here in the states and she is feeling it too!

    Very interesting the "ABI," I need to let her read this...maybe she'll see she hasn't got it so bad after all! ;)

    Happy Thurday! My list is up!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm gald I dont have to take those tests anymore either!

    Happy Thursday!
    Mine are up.
    Diary of the Nello

    ReplyDelete
  26. good luckj to your son!
    My TT is up now.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Good luck to your son, my daughter is 17 and in her last year at high school.
    My oldest dropped out and is now realising it was a BAD idea now he is out in the real world.
    My TT list is up but it sucks haha.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great Thirteen and I hope Teen17 does really well!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. number 11 [snigger]

    I haven't been over for ages - welcome back, lovey! :-)

    I will be back tomorrow to catch up.

    My TT is up :-)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Seems like a very intense test. Hope your teen17 did well. I bet he will be glad to be going on the trip and having some fun.

    Happy TT

    Hugs Suz
    http://goinons.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  31. Never heard of this before, wwhich isn't surprising becayse I've never known anyone who went to schoool in Germany...Hope ALL Goes well for 17!! And we say in the theatre...Break A Leg, 17!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh man exams, I sure don't miss those! Thanks for all the great info.

    My TT are up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. We have German friends so I know a little bit aboutthe Abis.

    I'm confused now, though. Aren't you in Spain?

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow you've had a nerve-wrecking time with exams. I hope you'll get to spend a peaceful and relaxing weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. That is a new word for me. I think I would be having a nervous breakdown, even if my kid was doing well.

    DO I still say I'm up, even if its friday? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Ooh, I do not envy those kids having to take their exams! A stressful week indeed! Glad to be out of school (for now) and free of that particular type of stress.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Here from Michele.
    Hope the results were as you expected. Exams can be brutal.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment, the best part of every post!
☀ IMPORTANT: ☀ kindly leave your direct link to the current meme, if you have multiple blogs. Thank you very much!!